Tumblr quotes on life 80. There are no dangerous thoughts; thinking is dangerous in itself (Hannah Arendt)
The philosopher Hannah Arendt, about the risk that the simple activity of thinking entails.
81. The word “happiness” would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness (Carl Gustav Jung)
Tumblr quotes on life
Tumblr quotes on life
Carl Gustav Jung, one of the referents of psychodynamics, speaks here about the dialectic between happiness and sadness.
82. No man can think clearly when his fists are closed (George Jean Nathan)
George Jean Nathan contrasts in a very lyrical way reason and feelings. One of the most quoted wise phrases in literature.
83. A man who is a teacher in patience is a teacher in everything else (George Savile)
The power of patience and the ability to manage time well, in one wise phrase.
84. Someone who does not believe in miracles is not realistic (David Ben-Gurión)
About the anomalies and inexplicable facts contained in reality.
85. There is no sadder vision than that of a young pessimist (Mark Twain)
Mark Twain refers here to the value associated with youth and the possibility that we despise it.
86. Hope is a good breakfast, but a bad dinner (Francis Bacon)
Hope is double-edged: it is positive when a world of possibilities opens up before us, but not so much when it is the last resort.
87. Education is the movement from darkness to light (Allan Bloom)
A powerful image to explain what education is.
88. The risk of a bad decision is preferable to the terror of indecision (Maimonides)
This philosopher from Muslim Cordoba talks about the negative of indecision and the paralysis of analysis.
Tumblr quotes wallpaper
89. Nothing reinforces authority as much as silence (Leonardo da Vinci)
The prolific inventor leaves us one of his wise phrases referring to the mechanisms that legitimize authority.
90. Creativity requires that courage be detached from certainties (Erich Fromm)
The father of humanistic psychoanalysis, on the relationship between courage and uncertainty.
91. The best part of beauty is that which no image can express (Francis Bacon)
Francis Bacon, about that part of beauty that cannot be shown.
92. Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it (Edmund Burke)
Tumblr quotes on life
Conservative philosopher Edmund Burke, on the need to know the past.
93. Nothing is so incredible that oratory cannot make it acceptable (Cicero)
Cicero talks about the power of well-designed speeches.
Tumblr quotes sad
94. A small flame can ignite (Dante)
A wise phrase that glimpses, through a poetic image, the unsuspected ways in which very important and significant phenomena can appear.
95. Leadership does not depend on being right (Iván Illich)
One of the leading thinkers in education talks here about how we have to interpret the legitimacy of leadership.
96. The environment shapes the actions of the individual (B. F. Skinner)
The most important referent of behavioral psychology talks about the relative of that line that separates individual and environment.
97. Youth is a rule of nature, but age is a work of art (Stanislaw Jerzy Lec)
An optimistic way to value age and the step towards old age.
98. No one can hurt me without my permission (Gandhi)
The influential pacifist leader refers in this wise phrase to the power of his own will.
99. If you can’t be a poet, be the poem (David Carradine)
A different perspective to see how our lives can have an artistic character.
Tumblr quotes about life and happiness
100. Nothing has more force than extreme necessity (Euripides)
The Greek poet Euripides talks about how, ultimately, the power of our actions is born when our freedom and situation to make decisions are reduced.
101. If we do good for interest, we will be cunning, but never good (Cicero)
Kindness, in the eyes of the brilliant Roman orator.
Tumblr quotes friendship
102. Pride is not greatness but swelling; and what is bloated seems big but it is not healthy (San Agustín)
One of the problems of pride is that, behind the appearance, it hides someone hurt and insecure.
103. Better to be king of your silence than slave of your words (William Shakespeare)
Never say things you may regret in the future.
104. Beauty is power; a smile is his sword (Charles Reade)
A reflection on beauty and its main attributes.